[SUGGESTION] Make proper, engaging roleplay jobs to encourage children to play

make new jobs to actually get some kids to play. i posted this in a thread but i know for a fact my reply on a post wouldn’t really be taken under actual consideration by anyone of interest (upper staff, specifically technicians). i also do not really play HM anymore, but I still would like to suggest this to you all as I don’t genuinely wanna see HM die. i played this server when i was 9, you really need to appeal to that sort of audience again.

take some inspiration from wildly popular roblox game “welcome to bloxburg”, jobs there keep kids engaged, people spend REAL MONEY to play that specific game on roblox and the peak playercount of that game is 88k. your whole purpose is to work to upgrade your house and get a car, etc., it’s a slow start and you can really only do jobs when starting out. now, what are the jobs, and how can we implement them on HM?

• delivery (taking something from point a to point b)
  • cashier (taking orders for people, could be done with NPCs)
  • fisherman (we already have this but instead of it being “yoo go fish in some water idk” it could tp you to a specific fisherman designated spot and feel like a job)
  • janitor (either… 1. cleaning up an area or… 2. you have 2 buildings, one is clean and one isn’t, you have to make the unclean one look like the clean one)
  • mechanic (npc gives you instructions like an oil change, a paint-job, or a tire change)
  • miner (mine ores but actually make it fun and instead of using plain minecraft for mining, make caves. try do something like hypixel skyblock for mining)
  • baker (give someone certain slimefun foods to make another slimefun food. for example, a player gets potato and salt, and has to make fries. they would get placed in a kitchen)
  • seller (essentially cashier but you do it at like a cafe or ice cream parlour and have to make the items they ask for)
  • stocker (restocking items in a store)
  • woodcutter (cutting wood in a DESIGNATED forest with CUSTOM trees and selling)

you could literally even make an “educational” system for these jobs. for example, being a cook, you could unlock new recipes and higher salaries IF you learn how to make those new recipes and successfully complete like a 5-min course on it (with requirements ofc, like “50 french fries made” and “50 salads” unlocks “potato salad” which pays more, similar to the characters you obtain in clash of clans)

see most of these jobs already kinda exist, but

1. theres no proper facilities for it (resourceworld is not engaging, a custom mine like in hypixel skyblock is)
  2. they barely pay anything (if anything)
  3. some of these jobs arent automated

i know it goes against this server’s idea of being a capitalist empire but you guys have to add roleplay jobs if you want a chance at survival. kids do not give 2 shits about your economy, they care about what they find fun which is minigames and becoming rich by doing fun jobs, until they can flex to their other friends their possessions. another thing in “welcome to bloxburg” is that houses are much more expensive to get and you actually have a reason to work. ofc this would cause some more wealth inequality but people need a reason to actually play, you guys all forget this, there’s little reason to play hm except to start a business and get money… except no one wants to start a business anymore unless its a megastore

the only reason adults still play hm is because adults are the target demographic for hm. according to google, 53% of children aged 6 to 8, and 68% of children aged 9 to 12, are actively playing Minecraft. more than half of those play more than once per week. now, it’s true that adults still play mc, but it’s clear that children have wayy more patience and wayy less responsibilities. i started playing HM when I was 9. kids get other kids to play with them, had i not had 3 friends of mine already playing hm I would’ve never known about it. notice how the main playerbase of hm is young adults and adults? that’s not sustainable. adults have jobs, uni, stress, a lack of time…

stop worriyng about the economy so much (ironic of me to say nowadays but my point still stands) and worry about a new target demographic. GTA (yes ik it’s a different game) has an economy, apparently it’s kinda broken and inflated, but you still see plenty of people play it. it hits all demographics (yes it’s made for 18+ but you see kids play it because it’s simple. we have a block game on our hands to use, made for children) and is fun, you have actual things to do. we have a literal example to look up to.

look at hypixel skyblock, it has a functioning economy yet people actually want to play… because it’s engaging for all demographics, unlike HM. i’m sorry but very little people would actually want to play HM in its current state, no matter how much advertising you do. HM really needs to take the approach of hypixel skyblock in terms of how it handles its server. it LITERALLY IS our best example at how an MC economy can also be interesting. stop feeding into this dream of “player-based jobs” because we need government jobs if you want your server to actually be played

also, once the roleplay jobs are here: get rid of those minecart jobs they’re not really that fun and 100% get rid of sand mines / cargo port (you can even get rid of these now I’d be happy to see them removed, but either way they’re unengaging jobs)

8 Likes

The new player experience team has started progress towards more/better role-play jobs!

2 Likes

So here are some you could include, like other modern servers, for instance:

Doctor - incorporating healing permission with Disease Plugin
Police - could have arrest feature (abusing could result in court case)
Judge - Must have previously been a lawyer/senator. Power to issue fines for instance. Collectively judges can vote on whether rules on unconstitutional (see my previous post).
Lawyer - Able to represent players
Senator - Elected periodically, able to vote on laws
Engineer - Access to slimefun
Gov Mayor - Elected periodically, able to vote on laws

Some roles could be more for RP so players know what your specialty is, i.e.
Miner
Entrepreneur - i.e. shop owners
Private City Mayors
Farmer

You could have a prefix so instead of Mod ~Satan you could have Farmer Albinary.

There could be a special exam at a university for each of these , incorporating the exam plugin and so many more types of professions you could include. More complex professions would have harder exams.

I would stress other servers do this so no reason why it can’t happen.

2 Likes

this would be great and it’s a perfect extension to the idea of having new jobs unlocked with a levelling system. these could also greatly link with an educational system, maybe we can even get professors and stuff. i would love to see hm develop into a hub for people to develop their interest for certain careers for example and i think all would find this stuff engaging (unless they got millions of forsals and they’re some sort of finance bro)

2 Likes

ik its a bit of a stretch but like with children joining the server if they pick a career on here it might intrigue them in their actual lives to find a passion for a job

3 Likes

it absolutely would, this server has so much potential to explore creative potential. i probably will never know what its like to be a lawyer for example, but i’ve had times where i have considered it as a path. if i could seriously have the chance to do it on hm, actually learning stuff at a hm “university” or something, i’d love to take the chance. you’re right and it’s not a stretch.

1 Like

but i like these suggestions, only then, with a good foundation of core gameplay, can we start advertising. Once these changes are implemented is it then smart to focus our efforts onto recruiting players

2 Likes

absokutely, it’s why i made this suggestion. our retention’s more problemstic than our advertising. the server isn’t really entertaining. anyone would say the same if they were to start playing the server as if they were new. i wouldnt even care enough to make money if i were to restart on hm. also there’s proof of roleplay jobs being entertaining (see hypixel skyblock) so yeah, hm needs a new goal.

i didnt even get a phone until i was 13 and your statistics say children the age of 5 play mc, oh lord lol.

I like the concept, but idk how that gona possible conseridering the market been in shambles ever since magnus joined.

yeah i was pretty shocked with that myself, most children have phones of their own now.

now yes, the market is currently unstable. surely an influx of new players contributing to the economy would help? perhaps they get paid by gov and then spend some of that in indirect taxes (for example, a property/corporation/chestshop tax), or just on regular purchases that go to other players.

also, i do believe this is a necessary step if we want to actually have good player retention. hypixel skyblock, again a really good example, manages to still have a functioning economy despite having roleplay jobs. our server is losing players and if you want to keep them, you have to make it entertaining.

inflation wouldn’t theoretically go up if government funds are used, and so in reality if indirect (voluntary) taxes are implemented, then the economy wouldnt suffer. i suggest these taxes:

• corporation tax (5%, if companies plugin is readded)
  • chestshop tax (5-10% is reasonable)
  • areashop tax (5-10% again would be reasonable)
  • AH tax (10%, for the convenience of using it)

i know people will heavily disagree with tax, and i’m not advocating for income tax or anything direct. i just think that small taxes like these would help the economy flow a lot better. it wouldn’t hurt new players assuming they would do the new roleplay jobs, and it certainly would allow for heavy spenders to contribute to our economy. there’s a reason taxes exist irl.

tldr: oops ive written a bit too much but my point is the economy isnt the problem here. we need player retention regardless and if we want our server to exist, we have to stop pretending that our server will be the perfect free market for economists worldwide. we need players. we can use indirect taxes to our advantage.

1 Like

Alright so these are my view on some of these occupations and if they are viable on the server-

Doctor - Yes with a disease plugin these could be useful
Police - Yes an arrest feature for things like drugs, possibly could be city-based
Judge/Lawyer/Senator - This is essentially what staff do and shouldn’t be given out as RP jobs.
Engineer- Yes the only ones who can produce sf stuff (normal players could still use it etc but couldnt make stuff)
Gov Mayor- pretty straightfoward since this is already a department role

Miner - could maybe have haste/eff multipliers when mining, better multipliers the higher level you are

Entrepreneur - I see this as being called “Businessperson” or “CEO” but same concept. Could possibly have access to add more people to their guild (company) and have sales/property tax cuts if we implement those.

Private City Mayor - Yep a mayor role could be cool. Maybe at tier 6 the mayor role becomes governor since you own a state.

Instead of Prefixes I think suffixes work better since the staff and non staff roles should be clearly unobstructed in chat.

2 Likes

to add on, perhaps accounting if taxes were to exist

also a legal system i do think can work for smaller claims, or perhaps staff can be jury to these things. i think it’s an industry with so much potential and we can definitely try and work something out for it, especially with the educational potential it has. it obviously shouldn’t be used for perm-ban worthy stuff

for example, if a city was made without the approval of city dept, someone can sue the person who made the city and that case can be fought

again i understand staff can deal with some of this but its such wasted potential esp since a lot of people would want to be lawyers

also, mining should definitely have custom caves and perhaps even custom ores

if we were to use prefixes perhaps the colour for all of them would be gray as so to make Mod stand out, but yeah suffixes can maybe work

drugs and guns would be pretty cool, another city server i played on had them and no one was “randomly shooting” each other so it could defo add to RP. pvp toggle already exists so

Did you get any feedback on this Albinary?

1 Like

no, not really, but i asked abt roleplay jobs on the staff questions topic so hopefully i’ll see what their stance on it is

1 Like

These are great suggestions. I had planned on implementing some version of several of these ideas when I was more active. A big hurdle is actually paying the players, it can sometimes be hard to automate. Also, the purpose of the cargo port was to create more of these jobs in a realistic environment and have it be more interactive with companies buying and selling materials that were “shipped into the port.” Either way when I become more active again implementing these suggestions would be a priority of mine.

2 Likes

Aye but the cargo port was horrifically executed. It’s just a mining pit you make money from. A cargo port would be transporting cargo across the map or something, not mining blocks. I know the mining was made hard by including sands and stones but paxels exist which is ironic af

1 Like

thanks! i’m excited to see the direction this server is headed to, i truly think entertainment and roleplay is something that this server lacks on and to have these finally considered as core principles that need to be worked on would be great, i’m glad to see that the admins that have responded to this so far are in favour :slight_smile:

1 Like

totally agree, the port and sand mines allowed for grinding in a way that is just not entertaining. hypixel skyblock makes mining fun, so grinding can be done in a more entertaining way, but the way these 2 executed it made it seem like any other mining job, like a prison server but without even ranking up or anything (a bad format made even worse). i do however think that the idea of government-supported jobs being available like that is good, it provided a centralised and stable place for someone to make money, which i do think is better than relying on player-based jobs or the sometimes confusing process of going to GTC (can be confusing for someone new)

1 Like

I can see these jobs actually being done easily.

Fisherman, maybe with fish quests
Miner as in minecart jobs but more in detail maybe solve puzzles or multiple routes per run, maybe actual mining later on
Stocker, for stores
Delivery job (multiple daily quests maybe?)
Training systems for each job

We can add more in the future, but without adding an actual jobs plugin or task/quest plugin I dont see why we cant add more of these after we have base functionality of the above set up.

I am interested in the mechanic job a lot but that needs to be heavily baked in and hard coded with denizen, that would be something we need to talk to aya about. Baker might be possible but it needs a large parcel of land to build onto it… Like I want to add as many of these as possible and I intend to read all the comments in this thread at some point, but personally we need to get base functionality in at first, then based on player feedback we can expand on the system.

With the possibility of companies added onto this in the future.

1 Like

So far here is what I have workable. Roleplay jobs have different jobs you can do daily/weekly/monthly.

Only daily jobs are being worked on now, we will add the other categories in later updates.

Delivery
Chef/Cooking
Demolition
Push minecart
Fishing (just selling fish at a shop no quests currently unless i add some later on)

I want to add

Farming
Mining, so you go around and mine for specific ores in a cave with some monsters
One time playthrough police quest, maybe 5 chapters
Mechanic, just need a garage designed, but it is possible

If you have other suggestions let me know, most likely no additional new roleplay jobs until after 1.19 update. Will just focus on improving the ones we are starting with until then.

1 Like