Ads at Lagora Square

What are people’s thoughts regarding signs and billboards at Lagora Sq (new informal nickname for HC front row)?

Billboards good for business?
Prefer to see company signs represented with their own logos?
Love it?
Too many advertisements an extravagant display of capitalism?

Have your say!

2 Likes

This feels like a problem you’ve created as you were typing this post lmao.

What other people do is thier business.

Does that mean one person owns the whole front row now?

its not as much as an issue as people think after tutorial is fully moved to cb

hearing reports that agora signs were removed on at least two buildings, any staff able to comment on this? seems like plot owners (ments/lossu) were not notified of the removal of these, despite not being against any rules. HC is dead anyway, the agora signs don’t make much of a difference to the city.

I’ll say the apparent controversial yet logical thing but I think a commercial square shouldn’t have 5 signs of the same company nor should 3 frontrows be owned by the same company.

Imagine shopping at a mall with a variety of shops and suddenly a dead company buys half the buildings and now 50% of the mall is a bunch of subway sandwich stores which all have run out of the only good thing a subway store sells anyway: cookies.

I get that it’s supposedly funny to have the agora sign shown 5 times but I don’t really care for what the monopolistic cheaters club thinks. (Never understood why oza ever joined agora lol)

Its not staffs fault that players don’t read rules nor changes that are announced. I just volunteered to take down the sign the same way lossu volunteered to put it up.

3 Likes

Its not staffs fault that players don’t read rules nor changes that are announced. I just volunteered to take down the sign the same way lossu volunteered to put it up.

Oza is aware of and has attempted to work within the rules, however this proves difficult when rules for government cities are ambiguous and unclear differing between staff, which is made more difficult when there is no single point of contact for HelloClan City as there is not currently a mayor to my knowledge, who would have to authorise a decision to approve billboards. It seems like the rule this actually falls under is actually

· Plot owners may request a temporary region in front of their plot to place signage, chestshops, banners and heads, providing this does not significantly interfere with the city regions or other plots and is relevant to their build. Additional billboard space outside of the plot area is at the discretion of the city mayor.

I’m not sure which plots have this expansion, but I believe the CHC one does, so this wouldn’t apply to plots where the Agora sign is within plot boundaries. This rule doesn’t differentiate the difference between signage and billboard space - signage by definition is used to communicate a message, and the signs could be seen as telling players that there is an Agora nearby, which there is.

nor should 3 frontrows be owned by the same company.

3 FrontRows are not owned by the same company as Agora does not own every front row HC plot. The front row plots are owned by Vita/Antec, Ments/BearCo, Tor/Nate, Lossu, KingAndrew/CHC. I’m not sure about the ownership of the sandstone building that agora uses, but I believe that might be the only own that is owned.

I’m not sure the purpose of including my explanation to oza in this.

Could you explain which rule differs between staff? And yes there is no current mayor as the last one went inactive

I think you misinterpreted this rule to region in front of their plot to place signage. That rule has no relevance to this case. That rule is just there to tell people that they can do this (everyone before used to just make a helpme and tell staff to add them to the main city rg or make a temp rg to build a sign, but this was never in writing).

“Billboard” and “sign” are synonymous terms in this context, and one is to assume by default that placing a sign/billboard on ones building is suggestive that the company on the sign owns the building somehow. Now this isn’t the case for bearco or lossu’s building, which makes it quite obvious in understanding the intentions of oza wanting that sign up.

In this situation you have to use the common sense rule in understand what ways a company can “own” a plot. Company imagery is included in the original interpretation, which is why the signs were removed.

1 Like

That rule has no relevance to this case.

It does have some relevancy to at least one of the plots involved with the agora sign situation such as the CHC building and you can find Thendil discussing this with Oza in discordsrv on the 16th

“Billboard” and “sign” are synonymous terms in this context
and one is to assume by default that placing a sign/billboard on ones building is suggestive that the company on the sign owns the building somehow

It isn’t made clear that they’re used interchangeably, as billboards are used by definition for “displaying advertisement” - common sense would say that these billboards are not limited to the advertising the plot in which they are situated in (see times square or piccadilly circus irl, for example, where the company advertising is not the one owning the building)

Since this post was created, it seems Thendil is now appointed HC mayor. Congrats to him.

EDIT: overhang can be see n the attached image

It’s just City Managers at this point, pretty much now synonymous with Mayors. I’ve been managing it since just before I became staff.

All these plots require design approval, including any updates to the plots. Staff have always made exception to players wanting to display signage for their companies representing their shop for instance. This courtesy hasn’t been abused until now.

At the end of the day, HC isn’t time square, and if it was, we wouldn’t want to ruin that aesthetic with duplicated signs, creating what I perceive to be an eyesore. Personally I don’t have a problem with billboards if appropriately placed, however I’ve yet to see one that could be. A billboard advertisement would usually direct the person observing it to a place i.e. an address, a website, in cinemas now, etc etc. Instead in-game they’re just saying a company name, and usually in front of the plot, which looks like that’s the name of that shop to any player going passed.

You can argue until the proverbial cows come home but at the end of the day, listing a company name on the front of multiple plots to troll the grey area isn’t really allowed anyway (see paragraph 2).

I’ve not seen many people argue for the merits of billboards (aside from acc company signs for their plots) so far anyway, so there doesn’t seem to be a great call for it. Probably because creating a mapart for it would actually require effort.

1 Like